Thursday, July 21, 2011

Hurdles Practice and Weights

Day off today and I had a bright idea of buying some bamboo canes from a garden centre so I could make some hurdles!

I googled "hurdles" and got the distance from the start line to the first hurdle (45'), the spacing between subsequent hurdles (30') and the height for Masters 35 hurldes which is 39" (normall full size ones are 42").

I went to a flat part of the field and measured out the first 3 and made them by pushing two into the ground and then tapping a pin into each one at 39" high and placing another cane across the pins. This way, if (when) I hit them they would just fall off and I could put them back on easily enough.

I warmed up and did some stretching before having a go!

I found that every time I was getting to the first hurdle after about 9 strides and going over with my right leg leading. On the first proper go I took 5 strides between the first and second hurdle. After that, I tried to lengthen and go for 3 strides which was impossible! I had to alternate lead legs, so 4 strides between hurdles. 

I found it really hard to get over and keep a smooth rhythm, kept knocking the first and 3rd, or the second, but towards the end I managed to clear 3 in a row with some form of speed. When I looked at how far it was to do the full course of 10 hurdles it seemed like miles!

I stopped when I hit a bobble in the ground when landing after the second hurdle on one attempt. I didn't twist my ankle but it has a strain down the side of the shin towards the ankle joint. My groin is also very sore despite stretching first - I'm just not used to those moves!

On to the gym:

1k wu

5, 4, 3, 2, 1 x 90kg bench, alternating with 5,4,3,2,1 wide grip chins
Pec Dec
More stretching and leg raises with 4kg DB between ankles.

1k cd

I'm already aching! This Decathlon is going to be even tougher than I thought it would be. :-O

No comments:

Views (30 days)

Followers