Saturday, September 12, 2009

First blog - Derren Brown

I already blog about the training I do on the Concept2 indoor rower so I thought I'd start a general blog for ramblings about this that and t'other as an when I feel the need.

Today's hot topic seems to be about Derren Brown and his Lottery Numbers' Prediction, not so much the prediction but the mass feeling of being 'cheated' that is being tweeted and blogged about everywhere.

When I say 'cheated', what I mean is that a lot of people seem to feel aggrieved that they tuned in to find out how he did it were still left feeling confused at the end.

Baldy's Take On it:

Derren Brown is out to promote himself and that's just what he's done. He generated the illusion of predicting the Lottery Numbers and along with it a million and one conspiracy theories and a corresponding number of internet blogs, tweets, posts, links, etc - job done!

I enjoyed the show. I stil don't know how he did it, but it looked impressive and that's what counts for me. I'm looking forward to the next show where he tells us that we won't be able to get up off our chairs - a challenge that people will want to try and test, especially those who feel aggrieved after last night!

Like him or not, he is a fantastic showman (which he happily admits to being).

When I manage to acquire a new laptop I intend to spend more time pondering t'is, t'at and t'other. In the meantime, thank you for visiting and feel free to follow my blog.

Oh, and those videos to the right are of me on the rowing machine at competitions if you want to see what it's all about!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMIzR6GNAXw at 1:45 the last ball (2) is drawn on the BBC/Camelot programme at 2:09 Derren moves across the studio to do his big reveal. That's given his hidden assistant 24 seconds to set-up the rack with the correct balls in numerical order (look at the 39 ball on the right - it's well out of line with the others).

So what he's done is a simple distraction illusion, nothing special, no magic, no advanced prediction. Just simple old fashioned illusion.

GrahamLay said...

Watched the video Dougie - can see what people are saying about the ball, although it looks pretty seemless to me, so a great illusion nontheless.

May be simple old fashioned illusion, but that's the point isn't it? Helps that the build up with the group of people who all believed they were predicting the numbers was so convincing too.

GrahamLay said...

My prediction for Friday night's Derren Brown illusion on television:

We'll all be glued to the telly to see how he's going to glue us to the telly - self-fulfilling prophecy I know, but I'm still keen to find out what he's going to do.

As for not being able to get up off the couch due to subliminal messages and hypnosis - I doubt he will be allowed to do that as I'm sure it's banned (although haven't checked yet). It'll be some mild distractions and misdirections but will it work? I hope so.

Come on Derren Brown - show us how it's done!

Anonymous said...

TV Hypnosis is banned. I've seen Paul McKenna on stage in London and it was seriously good fun (didn't get me on stage eating onions), but well worth the ticket price for a brilliant craic.

Views (30 days)

Followers