Saturday, September 19, 2009

Derren Brown's Control the Nation Show - Reaction

I was looking forward to watching the show and eagerly anticipating a ground-breaking television experience where Derren Brown promised to stick us to our chairs!

Watching the build up to the main event, as I thought, there was reference to the subliminal films of the 50's and 60's, then a couple of demonstrations of subjects being influenced by PWA (perception without awareness). This helped to build anticipation and set the scene.

Shortly before the film, there were a couple of flashed pictures that I could just make out to be someone sat in a chair, but I couldn't recognise the expression or posture very well. I think this was simply to add to the placebo effect that something was about to control me.

The phrases and words Derren Brown used before the film were probably the most important part of the whole programme. He flattered us by saying things like "If you are talented at ebing susceptible" and making out that it would work only on the 'special people'. I'm sure it was all about us wanting to believe and accepting his suggestions about our body parts becoming heavy and that the more we try the less energy we have.

I reckon the film had very little to do with the side-effects, apart from getting us to focus on one thing - sticking to the chair. I don't think there were any hidden images or messages played to us at all, instead, a white screen with parallel lines swirling around to get us to focus and believe that something was happening to us.

After the film, when he suggested that we should try to stand up, for a moment I didn't want to and almost pretended to myself that I couldn't move. When I put my mind to it and made the decision to stand up, I did. I felt a little let down, but at the same time understood it for what it was.

I was glued to the chair more before the commercial break as I wanted to get up and get my fiancee to come and join in, but I couldn't move for fear of missing the start!

I decided to watch the show again on Channel 4 + 1 to see if I sat more directly in front of the screen and really let myself go with the flow whether it would work. It didn't! What I did notice though on the second show was that Derren Brown said "After you've watched the film, I'll explain how I did it". Unfortunately, he didn't, hence the speculation like in this blog and on countless thousands around the globe and amongst the twitterati - great publicity, although for many people this is the second let-down in 2 shows. The next show about psychic spys portends to give us psychic powers - something that Derren Brown has always refuted. It'll be more suggestion, misdirection and illusion, but that's what is great about him!

I'd like to meet the people who did stick - and have some fun with them, suggesting things for them to do! I bet Derren Brown has a great lead bank of suggestible types from those 50,000 calls that were made for his next series.

No comments:

Views (30 days)

Followers