Monday, January 10, 2011

Preparing for National Champs

I'm currently training specifically for the 500m race at the English Indoor Rowing Championships in Manchester on 30th January 2011.

I've incorporated a lot more max power work both on the erg and in the weights room. On the erg, it's been about developing absolute strength by using maximum drag factor at low rate, and also explosive speed by using low drag at  low rate and driving as fast as possible.

Since power is a factor of strength and speed, I hope to combine these two elements together in the build up to the competition. This week I've done a few tests that seem to demonstrate I'm in good shape despite having bronchitis over Christmas for a few weeks:

300m - 45.0s - 1:15.0 pace - 49spm (0.1s off PB)
500m 24spm - 1:26.6 - stroking power of 22.46
1000m r20 - 3:12.9 - 1:36.4 (PB)
Deadlift - 230kg off floor with straps (PB), 180kg w/o straps (PB)
Power Clean - 100kg (PB)
Power Clean and Jerk - 92.5kg (PB)

So, PB's on power movements and high power erg tests are positive indicators. I hope to start sharpening towards the specific pace/rate and distance needed for the 500m race, so 20 x 100m reps on 1 min rest at sub 1::20 pace and the more horrid 6 x 200m reps on 3 mins 30s rest and the vomit inducing 8 x 200m on 4 mins rest.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Hi Graham,

Good luck at the English Indoor Rowing Championships. Unfortunately I will not be going this year - I have just started a new job in London in January, so I need to settle in a bit more before I leg-it back North again.
I am going to the Crash B's in Boston USA at the end of February which I am really looking forward to.
All the best,
Caroline

Views (30 days)

Followers