Thursday, August 26, 2010

First Javelin Throws for about a year!

I found a field where I can chuck the spear without:

1/ Posing any risk to any other person/animal
2/ Getting sacked (it's off company property, away from holiday guests!)
3/ Getting arrested

It's a farmers' field about 300m away where they hold a car boot sale every Sunday. I thought I'd better have a go and get some throwing practice in.

Started off with 'stabbing' - standing throws into the ground about 5-10m away. Did about 20 of these just to get warmed up.

Then did gentle 'floats' - walking in slowly, about 20-30m, about 10 of these.

Some 70% standing chucks, working on timing and hitting it 'through the point'

Then About 12 x 90% efforts throwing off 5 strides. There was a handy crisp packet in the grass so I positioned it at the last throw and aimed to go a bit further each time. The last 3 throws were close to 100% but still not off a full run-up and without a full blown left leg plant as I was on grass. I measured the furthest throw using the javelin - it was 20.5 lengths of the javelin. Not having a tape measure, I checked the spec online and the javelin is somewhere between 2.6 and 2.7m. Therefore, the last three 'chucks' were in the region of 50-55m.

It felt good to get the arm going again and I do feel strong right now. It's a shame I can't get on the tartan and really plant that leg as the amount of energy that is wasted by not bracing yourself and transferring it up through the body is a heck of a lot. I feel pretty confident in doing 55m on the day after that, and with 4 weeks of training to go I hope to be able to scare that 60m mark on the tape come the 28th Sep. It's all very exciting for me, sorry there's no erg stories at the moment! :lol:

No comments:

Views (30 days)

Followers