Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Turning up the pressure



I'm attempting a Decathlon in September to help raise awareness and funding for the

Rays of Sunshine Children's Charity
 
It's the UK Masters Championships in Oxford on the weekend of Sat/Sun 10th/11th Sep. i can now enter as I'm 35 years old and if that wasn't enough to satisfy the eligibility criteria, I feel like an old man sometimes!

I've been training hard but it's still going to be a massive challenge to try and get through it without injury and putting in 100% in every event. I also don't know how to Pole Vault and have only done Hurdles once (about 20 years ago!), plus I've only had a brief go at Jav, 100m, Shot and Long Jump this year so it's a bit scary.

In order to put more pressure on myself to put in 100%, I have set myself targets for each event and the whole thing. I am also asking for targets from top athletes. I will be donating £50 regardless of what happens, but if I miss the Olympic Hero Targets I will donate an extra £10 per 'miss'. On the flipside, if I hit it, the Olympian donates £20! 

I have listed my estimates for what I think I may actually be capable of to give you and the Olympians a guide as to what targets to set:

100m - 12.8s (did 13.01s earlier this year)
Long Jump - 5.50m (5.95m 15 yrs ago)
Shot Put - 12.50m (12.15m this year)
High Jump - 1.60m (???!)
400m - 60s - (57s or so 20 yrs ago)
Hurdles - 19s (???!)
Discus - 33m (not sure - think I did 34m when younger)
Pole Vault - 2.40m (????!!!!) SEE BELOW!
Javelin - 55m (54.90m last year)
1500m - 5min 30secs (???! can't remember ever running that far since cross country at school!)

Total - 4824 pts - (age adjusted = 5081)

These targets are not easy by any means - they are what I think I might be able to achieve with a few more weeks training and a full effort. 

When I get targets, I will list them here to share and put the Olympians on the spot! 

Event      Target      Olympian

100m - 12.80s, Jodie Williams - World Junior 100m Champion @JodieAlicia27

LJ - 5.00m, Greg Rutherford, Euro Silver 2006, PB 8.30m @Gregjrutherford

SP - 13.00m,  @KellySotherton Olympic + World Bronze, C/Wealth Gold  Heptathlon

HJ - 1.60m, Steve Smith, Olympic Bronze 1996, BR 2.37m @stevesmith_hj

400m - 62.0s, Katherine Merry, Olympic Bronze 2000 @KatharineMerry

110H - 18.00s, Andy Turner, World Bronze, Euro & Commonwealth Champ
(Andy changed his target after realising I am not that fast!)
DT - 32.00m, Louise Hazel - GB Heptathlete, Commonwealth Gold 2010
(I said I'd aim for double that as 16m is a bit soft!)

PV - 2.80m, Holly Bleasdale - British and World Age 19 Record Holder


JT - 57.00m, Goldie Sayers - British Record Holder @goldiesayers

1500m - 5 mins 10 secs, Heather Fell, Olympic Silver 2008 @heatherfellnews



Total - 4500 pts, Daley "Cheeky Bugger" Thompson, 
Olympic Gold 1980, 1984 @Daley_thompson
That's a vote of confidence for you! Haha

I also got a tip from the Olympic and 2 times World Champion, Trey Hardee:


Here is the donation page for anyone wishing to learn more about the Charity and hopefully support with your message (and your own target for me if you want!) -


 


THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THROUGH DONATIONS OR SHARING THE PAGE

Update:

I had a go at Pole Vault the other day, my first ever! Here's one of the attempts I made - you can see how much of a challenge this is going to be!!!

UPDATE:

I did an Open Comp on 30th Aug and managed 2.30m in Pole Vault, 12.15m in Shot and 1.45m in High Jump. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try not to kill yourself Graham!

Anonymous said...

I think you can beat Daley's target Graham! Good Luck

Views (30 days)

Followers