Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Decent 5k

Tonight's goal was to try and beat Kirtis Bell's (leisure team member) 18:09.6 for the monthly 5000m indoor rowing challenge. I'd done 18:21 last week so had 12 seconds to make up. What's 1.2 seconds per 500m?!
Anyway, was feeling confident after doing my 3rd fastest mile last night so decided to stick it on around target pace and try to hold it all the way:



Result: 18:15.6 - 1:49.5 - r25

Missed the goal by 6 seconds, but also improved on last week's effort by 6 seconds, so not too bad. Also, very pleased to get all the 1000m splits under 1:50 pace, despite really struggling in the last 1250m or so. Did some power strokes followed by a couple of paddle strokess then a couple of medium strokes and repeated this until the line - not pretty, not comfortable, but at least it got me to the end!

I think we're lining up a race on Friday - head to head. Kirtis thinks he can go sub 18 mins. If so, he'll beat me. If he can't, it'll be close ;-) 

For the record - this was my 3rd fastest 5km ever too. Have gone sub 18 mins twice, with my PB in competition in May 2010 - 17:54.7


No comments:

Views (30 days)

Followers