Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Javelin Competition

Today was the Exeter Open meeting which I'd decided about 6 weeks ago to enter in the javelin and train for.

The weather forecast didn't look great but it turned out to be half decent conditions, if a little flat in the atmosphere. Nobody's spears caught the wind particularly but at least it wasn't a strong crosswind or too cold.

I arrived at 6pm, registration was 6.20pm and javelin due to start at 6.45pm so I started warming up at 6.15 and did lots of stretching and drills to get ready. The official decided to put the youngsters on first so that delayed our starting time, but I wasn't too bothered as it was fun watching the rubberised javelins they were chucking with glee!

We started at around 7.45pm so it was difficult but not impossible to keep warm and loose. There were two other Senior Men who have both thrown over 60m this year so the competition was tough. Simon Bennett opened up with a 61.74m first throw, the best of the night actually and it set the standard for Mike Tarran and myself to try and get close. Mike Threw 59.30m and was peppering the 60m line without hitting it.

I threw 54.90m (180ft) in the 5th round and all throws were over 50m which was encouraging. I had built up enough confidence by the 4th round to properly plant the left foot and hit the ground, transferring the power up and through the body. Only problem was that my boots are a tad too small and the end of the boot rammed my big toenail and bent it in half (OUCH!)

Don't know how I did any more after that and especially don't know how I threw the best one in the next round off a shortened run-up.

Thoroughly enjoyed the evening. Met a couple of decent guys and good throwers who I didn't mind losing to. However, there's always next season....

Here's a snap of the view I was throwing into


 Here's a snap of the big toe



Here's a video of the first throw I did (not the best one but it gives a good picture of my technique).






All in all not too bad but there is still plenty of room for improvement, not least with keeping the arm straight until the movement starts with the shoulder (and not breaking the elbow before the throw like I did here). Mr Steve Backley demonstrates it better with one of his world record throws:



54.90m - ranks me 8th in Scotland, 92nd in UK and 9th if I were a veteran (which I become in November) :D

Now - back to erg sprinting! :-D

No comments:

Views (30 days)

Followers